Thank you Ameen,
jQuery and its plug-in "blockUI" does this already (other
javascript/css libraries do this as well.)  But I must confess, not
paying attention to their internals had me always wondering on how
they did it until you just explained it.  Pretty nifty and simple, I
might add.  Had I had a little more time, I would have figured it out
(or so I would like to believe,) but it seems that I can never get any
down time at work to do proper research.  Thanks again for
demistifying