Hi Michael and Ede
in the package org.openjump.core.ccordsys.utils there are two text files:
srid.txt which was and, i think, is still responsible to relate an epsg
code with a readable explanation and the unit
In the same package the file ProjUtils has all the methods to read a prj
(or an aux file from raster).
Among them method decodeProjDescription is important as it can read some
aliases, like ESRI prj files, and decode them as EPSG

srid2prj.txt which was responsible to relate an epsg code with a valid prj
SridLookUpTable.getOGCWKTFromWkidCode method used to read an EPSG code and
relate it into a prj
Peppe