Global Sukuk's Slump To Slow But Not Stop In 2023

   -

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230116-global-sukuk-s-slump-to-slow-but-not-stop-in-2023-12612170#>
   -
      -

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230116-global-sukuk-s-slump-to-slow-but-not-stop-in-2023-12612170#>
      -
      -
      -

<?subject=Global%20Sukuk's%20Slump%20To%20Slow%20But%20Not%20Stop%20In%202023&body=Check%20this%20out%20https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230116-global-sukuk-s-slump-to-slow-but-not-stop-in-2023-12612170>

   - Primary Credit Analyst:Mohamed Damak
   - Secondary Contacts:Sapna Jagtiani, Puneet Tuli
   - SectorFinancial Institutions

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Financial+Institutions&fn=custom_ss_theme>
   Banks

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Banks&fn=custom_ss_theme>Islamic
   Finance

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Islamic+Finance&fn=custom_ss_theme>
   Non-banks
   <https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Non-banks&fn=custom_ss_theme>
   - TagsAmericas

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Americas&fn=custom_ss_location>Latin
   America

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Latin+America&fn=custom_ss_location>
   APAC
   <https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=APAC&fn=custom_ss_location>
   EMEA
   <https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=EMEA&fn=custom_ss_location>

View Analyst Contact Information
<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230116-global-sukuk-s-slump-to-slow-but-not-stop-in-2023-12612170#ContactInfo>

   - Table of Contents

This report does not constitute a rating action.
Key Takeaways

   - Total sukuk issuance dropped to $155.8 billion in 2022 compared with
   $170.4 billion in 2021, mainly due to a decline in
   foreign-currency-denominated instruments.
   - We believe lower and more expensive global liquidity, increasing
   regulatory complexity, and reduced financing needs in some core Islamic
   finance countries will hold back the market this year.
   - Consequently, we forecast a further decline in total issuance to about
   $150 billion in 2023, despite governments' continued local currency
   issuances to support their capital markets

S&P Global Ratings believes that sukuk issuance volumes will continue to
decline in 2023, albeit at a slower pace than 2022. We expect lower and
more expensive global liquidity, increased complexity, and reduced
financing needs for issuers in some core Islamic finance countries to deter
the market.

Notably, future standards development and certain Sharia scholars'
preference for a higher proportion of profit-and-loss sharing in sukuk
could pose additional legal challenges, in our view. We continue to believe
that if sukuk become an equity-like instrument, investor and issuer
appetite will likely diminish significantly, in particular amid already
expensive liquidity.

However, we see supportive factors in other areas.

Corporates are likely to contribute to issuance volumes, particularly in
countries with government transformation visions or plans, such as Saudi
Arabia, where well capitalized banking systems will not have the capacity
to finance all the projects.

We also see continued momentum via the energy transition and increased
awareness of environmental, social, and governance considerations among
issuers in key Islamic finance countries. However, the sukuk market seems
to be lagging the conventional one when it comes to automation and issuance
of digital instruments, which could accelerate growth and make the process
more appealing.
Issuance Numbers Won't Recover in 2023

In 2022, total sukuk issuance reached $155.8 billion versus $170.4 billion
a year earlier (see chart 1). Declines occurred in most core Islamic
finance countries, with only a few exceptions such as Malaysia (higher
growth) and Turkey (pursuing all financing sources available) seeing
marginally higher numbers (see chart 2). More importantly, issuance in
foreign currency plummeted (see chart 3).
Chart 1[image: image]

Chart 2[image: image]

Chart 3[image: image]

We expect this trend to continue in 2023 and forecast sukuk issuance will
reduce again to $150 billion, with further risks building. Three factors
explain our view:

The world is getting used to more expensive global liquidity.   High
inflation prompted major central banks to accelerate interest rate
increases. This has reduced global liquidity and made it more expensive.
Investors' risk aversion has also increased, with major segments of capital
markets (for example speculative-grade issuers) experiencing significantly
lower activity in 2022 compared with 2021. The sukuk market, as a component
of the global capital market, is not immune to these trends. We may see
some upside in activity if inflation trends down sustainably and central
banks slow the pace of their interest rate increases.

Issuers have reduced financing needs.   High oil prices have boosted the
balance sheets of several issuers in core Islamic finance countries.
Moreover, in some, particularly Qatar and the United Arab Emirates (UAE),
an investment cycle has just ended. In others, where government
transformation visions are being implemented--such as Saudi Arabia--we
expect some corporates to hit the sukuk market because the banking system
won't be able to absorb all the investments. We also expect the Saudi
government to continue issuing sukuk in local currency to develop the local
capital market, although recent pressure on banks' liquidity resulted in
lower activity than 2021.

Regulatory uncertainty is still high.   Sukuk are more complex and
time-consuming than conventional bonds. Therefore, new issuers are mainly
taking the Islamic route because they expect to increase their investor
base compared with purely conventional transactions. Regulatory uncertainty
remains high and resides in the fragile equilibrium between making sukuk a
fixed-income instrument and Sharia scholars' push for more profit-and-loss
sharing. In our view, if sukuk lose their fixed-income characteristics
while adding significant risks compared to bonds they will become a less
attractive option, reducing the market's prospects.
Sustainability Sukuk Are Becoming More Prevalent

Despite the natural alignment of Islamic finance and sustainable finance,
sustainability sukuk issuance remains limited, albeit expanding (see chart
4). From green to social, we expect to see higher volumes as issuers meet
investor demands and core Islamic finance countries seek to reduce their
carbon footprints.
Chart 4[image: image]

Many of these countries are developing and implementing strategies to
transition to greener economies, which could imply future growth potential
for green sukuk issuance. We expect to see much more activity in this space
as issuers tap global investor interest. Furthermore, but less visible,
Islamic finance's social aspect holds appeal as the economic impacts of
various political/geopolitical shocks continue to hit populations in some
countries.
Digitalization Still Has A Long Way To Go

In the digital space, we are seeing more conventional than Islamic
activity. One could argue that this is a necessary step because the
conventional market has traditionally led the Islamic one. However, even
when companies have tried to develop the necessary infrastructure, issuer
and investor take up appears limited. In any case, we believe that digital
sukuk could provide a quicker and cheaper way for issuers to tap Islamic
finance markets due to the limited number of intermediaries involved. The
benefits may also include enhanced transaction security, traceability, and
integrity, which could further strengthen compliance with Sharia. However,
this assumes the availability of reliable technology, readiness of legal
frameworks to accommodate these instruments, and presence of standard legal
documents that can be used as a template.

Reducing the time, cost, and minimum issuance volume requirement in this
way could open the sukuk market to more issuers. However, investors in
digital sukuk will continue to bear traditional risks, including credit
market and liquidity risk. They will also be exposed to higher operational
risks from technology stability and cyber risks and need a means to
transact digitally, for example, a stable Islamic coin or a central bank
digital currency. Despite this, we expect to see more digital transactions
in 2023.

Sender : Ma’an Barazy

MA Philosophy – Jurisprudence / BS Economics

President Founder National Council Of Entrepreneurship And Innovation
\Entrepreneurs Ventures Network/ Data And Investment Consult

Diplomas

   - ·         *Accredited EFT / TFT Master Practitioner Certification  - *
   - ·         *Complimentary Therapists Accredited Association (CTAA) and
   The Priority Academy is Accredited as a Quality Distance Learning Provider
   also by the CTAA - Membership number: 10662322..*
   - *Certified Diploam Reuters Digital Journalism - Thomson Reuters
   Foundation*
   - ·         *Certificate in Business Neuromarketing Science*
   - ·         *Ultimate SEO, Social Media, & Digital Marketing Course 2022*
   - ·         *Entrepreneurship and Business Life Coach Certification*
   - ·         *Life Coach Certification Masterclass - Coaching Certificate*
   - ·         *Professional Certificate in Data Mining & Machine Learning*
   - ·         *Text Mining, Scraping and Sentiment Analysis with
   R-Tutorials Training*
   - ·         *VIP Digital Marketing Master Course*
   - ·         *UX Design - User Experience Design Fundamentals*
   - ·         *Microsoft Power BI Dashboards*
   - ·         *Training and Certificate in Blockchain Technology*

سياسة النشر في المجموعة:
ترك ما عارض أهل السنة والجماعة... الاكتفاء بأمور ذات علاقة بالاقتصاد الإسلامي
وعلومه ولو بالشيء البسيط، ويستثنى من هذا مايتعلق بالشأن العام على مستوى
الأمة... عدم ذكر ما يتعلق بشخص طبيعي أو اعتباري بعينه باستثناء الأمر العام الذي
يهم عامة المسلمين... تمرير بعض الأشياء الخفيفة المسلية ضمن قواعد الأدب وخاصة
منها التي تأتي من أعضاء لا يشاركون عادة، والقصد من ذلك تشجيعهم على التفاعل
الإيجابي... ترك المديح الشخصي...إن كل المقالات والآراء المنشورة تُعبر عن رأي
أصحابها، ولا تعبّر عن رأي إدارة المجموعة بالضرورة.
---
"Kantakji Group" group.
to kantakjigroup+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kantakjigroup/CAHyHQ9fiWLM_qhEYpbtP%3DANPW40vThENVMv-be1tDpK%2BVTsUVw%40mail.gmail.com.