Islamic Finance 2023-2024: Growth Beyond Core Markets Remains Elusive

   -

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230501-islamic-finance-2023-2024-growth-beyond-core-markets-remains-elusive-12712350#>
   -
      -

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230501-islamic-finance-2023-2024-growth-beyond-core-markets-remains-elusive-12712350#>
      -
      -
      -

<?subject=Islamic%20Finance%202023-2024:%20Growth%20Beyond%20Core%20Markets%20Remains%20Elusive&body=Check%20this%20out%20https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230501-islamic-finance-2023-2024-growth-beyond-core-markets-remains-elusive-12712350>

   - Primary Credit Analyst:Mohamed Damak
   - Secondary Contacts:Dhruv Roy, Samira Mensah, Nikita Anand
   - SectorFinancial Institutions

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Financial+Institutions&fn=custom_ss_theme>
   Banks

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Banks&fn=custom_ss_theme>Islamic
   Finance

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Islamic+Finance&fn=custom_ss_theme>
   - SegmentBanking

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230501-islamic-finance-2023-2024-growth-beyond-core-markets-remains-elusive-12712350#>
   - TagsAmericas

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Americas&fn=custom_ss_location>Latin
   America

<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=Latin+America&fn=custom_ss_location>
   APAC
   <https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=APAC&fn=custom_ss_location>
   EMEA
   <https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/search?q=EMEA&fn=custom_ss_location>

View Analyst Contact Information
<https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/230501-islamic-finance-2023-2024-growth-beyond-core-markets-remains-elusive-12712350#ContactInfo>

   - Table of Contents

This report does not constitute a rating action.
Key Takeaways

   - Despite a forecasted economic slowdown, we believe that global Islamic
   finance assets are set to grow in 2023-2024, largely due to favorable
   dynamics in a few core markets.
   - While sukuk issuance will likely continue to decline in 2023, we
   expect new issuance to exceed maturities.
   - Sustainability-linked sukuk issuances will likely continue to
   increase, albeit from a low base.

The global Islamic finance industry continues its growth path. S&P Global
Ratings expects around 10% growth across the industry in 2023-2024 after
expanding by a similar number in 2022 (excluding Iran). The Gulf
Cooperation Council (GCC) countries--notably Saudi Arabia and
Kuwait--largely fueled this performance, supported by a large, one-off
acquisition in the latter. Elsewhere, growth was either muted or held back
by local currency depreciation. At the same time, sukuk issuance continued
to spur the industry's expansion despite slowing issuance volumes overall.
While we generally expect volumes to diminish in 2023, we still believe
that new issuance will exceed maturing sukuk, resulting in another positive
contribution of the sukuk market to industry growth in 2023. The Islamic
funds and takaful sectors are also likely to continue to expand. We
continue to exclude Iran from our calculations due to the lack of
disclosure by Iranian banks.

Structural weaknesses still curb the industry's broader geographical and
market appeal, though. As we've stated in previous reports, we believe that
progress toward greater standardization--in part supported by the
digitalization of sukuk issuance for example--could enhance the industry's
structural growth potential. At the same time, the increasing focus on
sustainability-related themes by core Islamic finance players will create
new opportunities for the industry. We expect the contribution of
sustainability-linked sukuk to continue increasing in the next 12-24
months, albeit from a low base.
Strong Growth Will Persist

The Islamic finance industry continued to expand in 2022, with assets up by
9.4% compared with 12.2% in 2021, supported by growth in banking assets and
the sukuk industry (see chart 1).
Chart 1[image: image]

Banking assets propel performance

GCC countries, mainly Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, spurred 92% of growth in
Islamic banking assets. In Kuwait, this was mainly due to Kuwait Finance
House (KFH's) acquisition of Ahli United Bank (AUB). Over the next couple
of years, we expect the latter to convert its conventional activities to
Sharia compliance in line with its acquisition plans. In Saudi Arabia, the
implementation of Vision 2030 and continued growth in mortgage lending
supported the 2022 performance. We expect a material slowdown in GCC
economies' real GDP growth in 2023-2024, compared with 2022, largely based
on lower oil production (see chart 2). However, we think that Saudi
Arabia's banking system performance will continue to underpin a large
portion of the expanding Islamic finance industry. In other GCC countries,
growth of about 5% appears plausible in the absence of new major government
investment cycles.
Chart 2[image: image]

In South-East Asia, we expect the Islamic banking industry to grow at
around 8% over the next couple of years, despite an economic slowdown in
the major markets of Malaysia and Indonesia. Robust demand for Islamic
products and services and low penetration, particularly in Indonesia,
support this trend. In both markets, we expect Islamic banking to continue
to gain market share as growth outpaces conventional banking. Meanwhile, in
Turkiye, the depreciation of the lira has been a constraint. Pressure on
the Egyptian pound is also unhelpful for the industry, although the
contribution of Egypt and Turkiye to the industry's banking assets
generally remains modest.
Declining sukuk issuance, but increasing stock

We believe that sukuk issuance volumes will continue to fall in 2023,
albeit at a slower pace than in 2022. We expect lower and more expensive
global liquidity, greater complexity related to structuring sukuk, and
reduced financing needs for issuers (due to fiscal surpluses from higher
oil prices) in some core Islamic finance countries to deter the market.
Corporates are likely to contribute to issuance volumes, particularly in
countries where governments have announced transformation plans. This is
the case in Saudi Arabia, where the banking system will be limited in its
capacity to finance multiple projects related to Vision 2030
implementation. Issuers with high financing needs, such as those in Egypt
and Turkiye, are also likely to tap the sukuk market as part of their
strategy to mobilize all available resources. For example, Egypt has
established a $5 billion sukuk program and issued its first sukuk in early
2023 for a total of $1.5 billion. We understand that this attracted
significant investor interest, with more than $6 billion demand and a 59%
allocation to investors from the Middle East and North Africa. The profit
rate of the three-year sukuk was set at 10.875%, which at the time was
broadly in line with the yield on Egypt's conventional bond with a similar
maturity date of 2026. Overall, we think that the volume of new issuances
will continue to exceed maturing sukuk.

We note a significant decline in foreign currency-denominated sukuk
issuance over the past 12 months, though, mainly on lower and more
expensive global liquidity (see chart 3). In addition, the market continued
to suffer from uncertainty around regulation and standardization. For
example, challenges related to the adoption of AAOIFI Standard 59 in the
United Arab Emirates resulted in a significant decline in foreign
currency-denominated sukuk--from around $10 billion per year in 2018-2020
to around $4 billion per year in 2021-2022. Introducing mechanisms for the
revaluation of underlying assets could be one of the next obstacles that
the market may face. We will continue to consider any future developments
relating to regulation and standardization and how they may affect future
issuance volumes. If sukuk became an equity-like instrument, we believe
that investor and issuer appetite, as well as and pricing mechanisms, would
likely change significantly. Sustainability and digitalization could help
the sukuk market to shore up future contributions to the Islamic finance
industry.
Chart 3[image: image]

Takaful and fund industries still play their role

Despite their small contribution to the industry, we expect the takaful and
fund sectors to continue to grow. We expect takaful to expand at an annual
rate of around 10%, supported by continued nominal GDP growth, the
expansion of infrastructure investment and medical insurance covers, and
some inflation-related tariff adjustments. Fund growth will hinge on the
performance of the capital markets, given its structure--around one-quarter
equity funds and another 60% money market or sukuk funds.

Overall, we believe a growth rate of about 10% is achievable for the
industry over the next two years. We continue to exclude Iran from our
calculations due to the lack of disclosure and volatility of the country's
exchange rate.
The Industry Remains Highly Concentrated

We see the Islamic finance industry as a collection of local industries
rather than a truly globalized sector. In 2022, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait
drove most of the growth in banking assets (see chart 4). Similarly,
Malaysia and GCC countries accounted for a large portion of the sukuk
market during the same period. Interest in tapping the sukuk market from
players beyond the industry's original boundaries seems to be limited to
countries in need to open all available financing options. The industry is
therefore looking at ways to enhance its competitiveness and appeal to
distinguish itself from the conventional fixed-income market. Streamlining
products and processes to make them more appealing to new issuers is one of
these methods. We believe that measures taken by stakeholders--particularly
standard setters--and increased digitalization could also help. On the
other hand, we note the potentially conflicting views of Sharia scholars,
who favor more equity-like characteristics for sukuk, and investors that
prefer more debt-like features. We see this as a factor that could disrupt
the market.
Chart 4[image: image]

We believe that digitalization could help alleviate this issue as it would
require a set of standard legal documentation that would be used for
digital sukuk issuance. However, having adequate physical and nonphysical
infrastructure in place, along with the necessary supervision and
regulatory framework, would be prerequisites for success in this area. In
addition, a regulatory environment for digital sukuk and a monetary bridge
between the physical and digital ecosystems could enhance market access.
Sustainability-Linked Themes Could Support Future Growth

Despite the natural alignment of Islamic and sustainable finance,
sustainability-linked sukuk issuance remains limited (see chart 5). We
believe that this will change, and we expect to see higher volumes of
sustainability-linked sukuk as issuers try to meet investor demand and core
Islamic finance countries seek to reduce their carbon footprint and support
the global energy transition.
Chart 5[image: image]

Many Islamic finance countries are pursuing strategies to help them
transition to greener economies. We believe this indicates growth potential
for green sukuk issuance and expect to see greater activity in this space
as issuers tap global investor interest. Although less visible, we believe
that the social aspect behind Islamic finance holds appeal as the economic
impact of various political and geopolitical shocks continues to thwart
populations in certain countries.

Banks are also likely to unlock growth opportunities related to their
sustainability agenda. Over the past three years, many banks in core
Islamic finance countries have publicly commented on their sustainability
plans. While some have been more ambitious than others, this shows their
public commitment to certain levels of sustainability-related financing or
a certain percentage of their overall financing. We therefore expect green
products and services for corporate and retail customers will contribute to
the growth of Islamic banking assets.
Related Research

   - Where And How External Funding Stress Might Hit Emerging Market Banks

<https://www.capitaliq.com/CIQDotNet/CreditResearch/SPResearch.aspx?articleId=&ArtObjectId=12697840&ArtRevId=1>,
   April 17, 2023
   - Credit FAQ: Why Most GCC Banks Can Manage Contagion Risk From SVB

<https://www.capitaliq.com/CIQDotNet/CreditResearch/SPResearch.aspx?articleId=&ArtObjectId=12671396&ArtRevId=2>,
   March 16, 2023
   - The Energy Transition: GCC Banks On Stable Ground

<https://www.capitaliq.com/CIQDotNet/CreditResearch/SPResearch.aspx?articleId=&ArtObjectId=12661513&ArtRevId=1>,
   March 13, 2023
   - Digital Bonds: The Disruption Is Underway

<https://www.capitaliq.com/CIQDotNet/CreditResearch/SPResearch.aspx?articleId=&ArtObjectId=12651017&ArtRevId=1>,
   Feb. 27, 2023
   - Rapidly Evolving Market Conditions Put GCC Bank Hybrid Capital In The
   Spotlight

<https://www.capitaliq.com/CIQDotNet/CreditResearch/SPResearch.aspx?articleId=&ArtObjectId=12621456&ArtRevId=1>,
   Jan. 30, 2023
   - Global Sukuk's Slump To Slow But Not Stop In 2023

<https://www.capitaliq.com/CIQDotNet/CreditResearch/SPResearch.aspx?articleId=&ArtObjectId=12612170&ArtRevId=1>,
   Jan. 16, 2023

This report does not constitute a rating action.
Primary Credit Analyst: Mohamed Damak, Dubai + 97143727153;
mohamed.da...@spglobal.com
Secondary Contacts: Dhruv Roy, Dubai + 971(0)56 413 3480;
dhruv....@spglobal.com
Samira Mensah, Johannesburg + 27 11 214 4869;
samira.men...@spglobal.com
Nikita Anand, Singapore + 65 6216 1050;
nikita.an...@spglobal.com

Sender : Ma’an Barazy

MA Philosophy – Jurisprudence / BS Economics

President Founder National Council Of Entrepreneurship And Innovation
\Entrepreneurs Ventures Network/ Data And Investment Consult

Diplomas

   - ·         *Accredited EFT / TFT Master Practitioner Certification  - *
   - ·         *Complimentary Therapists Accredited Association (CTAA) and
   The Priority Academy is Accredited as a Quality Distance Learning Provider
   also by the CTAA - Membership number: 10662322..*
   - *Certified Diploam Reuters Digital Journalism - Thomson Reuters
   Foundation*
   - ·         *Certificate in Business Neuromarketing Science*
   - ·         *Ultimate SEO, Social Media, & Digital Marketing Course 2022*
   - ·         *Entrepreneurship and Business Life Coach Certification*
   - ·         *Life Coach Certification Masterclass - Coaching Certificate*
   - ·         *Professional Certificate in Data Mining & Machine Learning*
   - ·         *Text Mining, Scraping and Sentiment Analysis with
   R-Tutorials Training*
   - ·         *VIP Digital Marketing Master Course*
   - ·         *UX Design - User Experience Design Fundamentals*
   - ·         *Microsoft Power BI Dashboards*
   - ·         *Training and Certificate in Blockchain Technology*

سياسة النشر في المجموعة:
ترك ما عارض أهل السنة والجماعة... الاكتفاء بأمور ذات علاقة بالاقتصاد الإسلامي
وعلومه ولو بالشيء البسيط، ويستثنى من هذا مايتعلق بالشأن العام على مستوى
الأمة... عدم ذكر ما يتعلق بشخص طبيعي أو اعتباري بعينه باستثناء الأمر العام الذي
يهم عامة المسلمين... تمرير بعض الأشياء الخفيفة المسلية ضمن قواعد الأدب وخاصة
منها التي تأتي من أعضاء لا يشاركون عادة، والقصد من ذلك تشجيعهم على التفاعل
الإيجابي... ترك المديح الشخصي...إن كل المقالات والآراء المنشورة تُعبر عن رأي
أصحابها، ولا تعبّر عن رأي إدارة المجموعة بالضرورة.
---
"Kantakji Group" group.
to kantakjigroup+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kantakjigroup/CAHyHQ9dG_4VRU8vTw83tS5v9_NRNsRdSLoZY%3DpMsG2dECv3Ozg%40mail.gmail.com.