From: Kea-users <kea-users-boun...@lists.isc.org> on behalf of Ubence Quevedo
<that...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2024 00:26
To: kea-users@lists.isc.org <kea-users@lists.isc.org>
Subject: [Kea-users] Need to have DHCP Relay in order for Kea to work...?

U ontvangt niet vaak e-mail van that...@gmail.com. Meer informatie over waarom
dit belangrijk is<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been using Kea for just under a year for a home setup on a Linux Ubuntu
server.  I switched from isc dhcp since it was end of life.  My setup has a lot
of MAC address reservations with some general pools for systems that don’t have
IP reservations.

I also have a few vlans set up with the reservations for devices on each of the
vlans.  I’m using pfSense as my gateway with some Unifi equipment that is vlan
aware.

I’m running into an issue and I’m not sure why and would love some advice on
how to look into this.

I have the interfaces on the system setup that is running Kea, to advertise on
the untagged network [mostly some servers], vlan 11 [user systems], and vlan12
[IoT devices].

I don’t have the firewall in pfSense to block traffic between these networks
yet, so they can all freely talk to each other.

Even though I have my Kea configured to advertise on all of the interfaces
[untagged, 11, 12], I can’t seem to get anything to work unless I have the DHCP
Relay service setup on the pfSense device to redirect all DHCP traffic to the
Kea system’s untagged IP address [192.168.10.3].

I can verify through nmap that udp port 67 is running on all three interfaces.

If I turn off the DHCP Relay service, I was expecting the interfaces to pick up
on the DHCP requests from devices on all of these networks.

This doesn’t happen and devices don’t get addresses.  I’ve even watched the
logs I’ve split out and nothing is written for the duration that the relay
service is turned off.  As soon as I turn it back on, I start seeing traffic
again.

I’m running Kea 2.6.0.

I’d love to turn the DHCP Relay off to then try to troubleshoot another issue
I’m having with bridging interfaces to VMs and then having the VM interface
assigned to a vlan other than the bridged interface.  It seems to work for
something else I’m doing, but just trying to rule some things out.  Probably
another post if I can figure out why the DHCP Relay seems to need to be on.

Any ideas why I need the DHCP Relay service on another device even though all
of the interfaces on each respective vlan are configured to listen for dhcp
requests?

-Ubence