So you can boot your system if you select the -38 kernel from the GRUB
menu but not the -39?

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: kernel-da-key

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

  Ubuntu won't launch after the Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.0-39 generic
  update

Status in linux source package in Xenial:

  I am running Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and I've discussed in a thread at
  'Ask Ubuntu: System update almost broke the system' about the Kernel
  Bug — as suggested by a local user boddhi.zazen — that I experienced
  as I was running my system updates. The problem occurs with "Ubuntu,
  with Linux 4.4.0-39 generic", although I am still able to access
  Ubuntu with the older "Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.0-38 generic" via
  "+Advanced options for Ubuntu".

  Here's what happened:

  1. I first ran the upgrade procedures through terminal as usual: sudo apt-get
update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get autoremove, and sudo apt-get
autoremove
  2. However, I was told that "4 not upgraded", so I decided to run Software
Updater as well, and there was indeed updates available concerning "Ubuntu
base". I installed those successfully, and decided to proceed with restart my
system.

  After the restart, my system doesn't start though. Instead, I receive
  the following error message:

  <-- THE BEGINNING, NOT PART OF THE ERROR MESSAGE -->
  [ 1.452270] genirq: Flags mismatch irq 0. 00000080 (nvme0q0) vs. 00015a00
(timer)
  [ 1.452551] iounmap: bad address ffffc90001b88000
  Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
  Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
   - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
   - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
  ALERT! UUID=a5ccaf22-ffde-44c2-8c59-84a851f9fd90 does not exist. Dropping to
shell!

  BusyBox v1.222.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

  (initramfs)
  <-- THE END, NOT PART OF THE ERROR MESSAGE -->

  I was able to recover my system through the "+Advanced options for
  Ubuntu", which I opened after. There I had total of nine choices,
  three options for each version. I first tried the "recovery version"
  of the latest one, but it didn't work. After that, I tried the
  "generic version" of the second latest, and — thank God — that one
  managed to recover my system! I believe the package is called linux-
  image-4.4.0-39-generic ("Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.0-38 generic" in the
  menu")

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:16.04.16
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu