This broke my ability to build the Xenial HWE kernel offline using the
default kernel configuration (trying to build binary-lowlatency
specifically). Building a package shouldn't require me to have an
internet connection.

I am also concerned about complying with the CDDL license since the ZFS
source code is no longer part of the linux-source package. Is something
being done to properly point to the source code of the modules?

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-gcp in Ubuntu.

  zfs/spl build in conjunction with the kernel from DKMS source

Status in linux-gcp package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-gcp source package in Bionic:

  We currently carry a complete copy of the zfs/spl source in the kernel
  package.  It would be much simpler to maintain if we used the
  published sources for the dkms package to build these at kernel build
  time.  We are still able to sign those modules into the kernel modules
  key.