** Description changed:

  kernel get stucks at boot if console=ttyS* is specified in the kernel
  cmdline and that serial HW isn't available on the system.

  Reproduced with:
  4.4 (from Xenial), 4.15 (from Bionic), 5.4 (native, Focal) and 5.7-next
(mainline)

  Removing the non-existent 'console=ttyS*' parameter fixes the situation.

  I tested it using KVM/qemu, but it has been brought to my attention that
  it was reproducible in VMware as well.

  I think it is safe to say that it is unlikely to be specifics to a
  certain virtualization technology type.

- Didn't test on baremetal, but I would suspect the same behaviour (until
- I'm proving wrong).
+ Didn't test on baremetal yet.

  kernel get stuck at boot if specified 'console=ttyS* ' doesn't exist.

  kernel get stucks at boot if console=ttyS* is specified in the kernel
  cmdline and that serial HW isn't available on the system.

  Reproduced with:
  4.4 (from Xenial), 4.15 (from Bionic), 5.4 (native, Focal) and 5.7-next
(mainline)

  Removing the non-existent 'console=ttyS*' parameter fixes the
  situation.

  I tested it using KVM/qemu, but it has been brought to my attention
  that it was reproducible in VMware as well.

  I think it is safe to say that it is unlikely to be specifics to a
  certain virtualization technology type.

  Didn't test on baremetal yet.