This issue has also been reported on reddit.  Also on
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1305763/no-audio-after-apt-upgrade-with-
new-pkgs-ubuntu-20-04-lts .

In my testing I performed the usual steps to get pulse audio working
which failed. The issue happens when upgrading from
config-5.8.0-34-generic to config-5.8.0-36-generic on a KDE Neon
platform.  Each machine has an NVidia display and the proprietary
driver. The NVidia driver was update during the same from 418.152.00 to
450.102.04.  KDE Neon was upgraded from 5.20.4 to 5.20.5 in the same
cycle.  I prepared a machine with a configuration just prior to the
update and so far believe the issue is NOT related to the KDE 5.20.5
update.  But some either the kernel or some interaction with the NVidia
driver.  I will try to isolate the kernel from the Nividia driver but
the above link seems to point to the audio driver missing from the
kernel.

The issue also causes the system to fail to detect a Logitech USB Webcam
and and external USB headphone (effectively its own sound card). Both
devices are recognized as USB devices but not as input or output media
devices.

root@:~# inxi -SA
System:    Host: kingfish Kernel: 5.8.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty
1 Distro: KDE neon 20.04 5.20
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio driver: N/A

I get the same output for pulseaudio -vvv and alsamixer as shown in the
link.

  no soundcard present with linux-image-5.8.0-37-generic

  With linux-image-5.8.0-34-generic, all on-board soundcards work
  flawlessly.

  After update of kernel to linux-image-5.8.0-37-generic durign this
  week no soundcards are detected.

  I am happy to provide more information.

  But I will not sent automatic apport reports because it includes
  private local data.

  ####

   !!DMI Information
   !!---------------

   Manufacturer:      LENOVO
   Product Name:      20BUS23M00
   Product Version:   ThinkPad T450
   Firmware Version:  JBET54WW (1.19 )
   Board Vendor:      LENOVO
   Board Name:        20BUS23M00

  !!Kernel Information
   !!------------------

   Kernel release:    5.8.0-34-generic
   Operating System:  GNU/Linux
   Architecture:      x86_64
   Processor:         x86_64
   SMP Enabled:       Yes

   !!ALSA Version
   !!------------

   Driver version:     k5.8.0-34-generic
   Library version:    1.2.3.2
   Utilities version:  1.2.3

   !!Loaded ALSA modules
   !!-------------------

   snd_hda_intel
   snd_hda_intel

   !!Sound Servers on this system
   !!----------------------------

   Pulseaudio:
         Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
         Running - Yes

   !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
   !!-----------------------------

    0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                         HDA Intel HDMI at 0xe1230000 irq 51
    1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                         HDA Intel PCH at 0xe1234000 irq 52

   !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system

   00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller
[8086:160c] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Broadwell-U Audio Controller [17aa:5034]
   00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High
Definition Audio Controller [8086:9ca0] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
[17aa:5034]