Hi, thanks for the bug report. Can you please try in 18.04 with both
kernels 4.15 and 5.4? The 4.15 series is the GA series for Ubuntu 18.04,
meaning it is the kernel version available since the release of 18.04.
Now, through HWE process[0] we get more recent kernels to older
releases, so kernel 5.4 is available to Bionic - which is the version on
Ubuntu 20.04.

With that experiment, we could narrow it down to a kernel change vs. userspace.
Thanks in advance,

Guilherme

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

  AACRAID not exposing drives in Protect mode

  In 18.04 LTS - Drives behind an array were exposed as /dev/sg[12345...] when
expose_externals was set to -1(default)
  In 20.04 LTS - This is no longer happening unless you force expose_externals
to 1. This is undesirable as it also exposes the disks as /dev/sd[abc] as well
as /dev/sg[123]

  No hardware/firmware/bios changes between 18.04 and 20.04.