** Changed in: linux

  XPS 13 9360 trackpad locks into scroll mode

Status in Dell Sputnik:
  Invalid
Status in Linux:

  Hello,

  I'm running Linux on a Dell XPS 13 (9360) laptop.

  I find that upwards of 10 times per day, my trackpad gets stuck in
  "scrolling" mode. Moving the trackpad won't move the X windows
  pointer, but will send scrolling events to the foreground window.

  When the trackpad is locked in this mode, the touchscreen will still
  let me move the mouse cursor, as will an external mouse.

  On Ubuntu 16.04 freshly restored from the Dell recovery image, I find
  that it's often difficult to get the trackpad to recover.

  I do find that the issue happens less frequently on Dell's build of
  Ubuntu 16.04 than on other linux distributions and versions, but it
  still happens enough to significantly impact my ability to do
  productive work.

  The issue does not occur when running Windows 10 on the same device.

  I suspect that the issue may be related to palm detection or
  misdetecting the user's palm as a gesture to enable scrolling mode,
  but have no proof for this.

  It seems that I'm often able to reproduce the issue by brushing the
  trackpad with my right palm.

  On Ubuntu 16.10, with the latest shipped 4.8 kernel (Linux szx
  4.8.0-30-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 03:43:27 UTC 2016 x86_64
  x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux), with the extra xinput configuration below, I
  am able to get the trackpad to recover, simply by clicking the
  trackpad:

  /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-libinput.conf:

  Section "InputClass"
      Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
      Driver "libinput"
      MatchIsTouchpad "on"
      MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
      Option "Tapping" "True"
      Option "DisableWhileTyping" "True"
      Option "NaturalScrolling" "False"
      Option "AccelProfile" "adaptive"
      Option "AccelSpeed" "0.05"
      Option "MiddleEmulation" "True"
      Option "ScrollMethod" "twofinger"
      # Option "ClickMethod" "clickfinger"
      Option "ClickMethod" "buttonareas"
  EndSection

  In my experience, the problem manifests using both the Xorg synaptics driver
and the Xorg libinput driver.

  root@szx:/etc/modprobe.d# xinput list
  ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
  ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                      id=4    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ Logitech M570                                   id=10   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad                   id=13   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ ELAN Touchscreen                                id=11   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
      ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                     id=5    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Power Button                                    id=6    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Video Bus                                       id=7    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Power Button                                    id=8    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Sleep Button                                    id=9    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Integrated_Webcam_HD                            id=12   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Intel Virtual Button driver                     id=14   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Intel HID events                                id=15   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                    id=16   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                                id=17   [slave
keyboard (3)]
  root@szx:/etc/modprobe.d#