This also happens with the kernel in xubuntu-22.04-beta-desktop-
amd64.iso, so it will block me upgrading that machine to Jammy when it's
released.

Is there anything I can do to help? I'm not familiar with debugging
kernel drivers, but I'm a competent general developer, and I'm prepared
to put in some effort if given some guidance on where to start.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-signed-oem-5.14 in Ubuntu.

  Hang on boot after 'fb0: switching to inteldrmfb from EFI VGA'

Status in linux-signed-oem-5.14 package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 with HWE kernels. The 5.11 kernel stream has
  been working fine for me (and supported the network device on my
  reasonably recent PC, which 20.04's default kernel didn't). But the
  5.13 and 5.14 kernels all hang on boot.

  If I edit the GRUB boot commands to let me see the boot messages, the
  hang occurs immediately after printing the message

  [    1.044456] fb0: switching to inteldrmfb from EFI VGA

  I can boot this kernel fine if I add 'nomodeset' to the kernel command
  line. But then I get unusably low screen resolution. Instead, my
  workaround is to manually select a 5.11 kernel from the GRUB menu on
  every boot.

  I'm not able to provide a full set of kernel messages from a failed
  boot attempt, because of course the kernel doesn't boot to a point
  where I can save them to a file. But I attach a screenshot of the last
  screenful of messages before the hang, in case those are useful. I'll
  also attach dmesg logs from a successful boot of the 5.14 kernel with
  nomodeset, and from a boot of the 5.11 kernel which gives me full
  functionality.

  Package: linux-image-5.14.0-1031-oem 5.14.0-1031.34
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.11.0-46.51~20.04.1-generic 5.11.22
  Uname: Linux 5.11.0-46-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.21
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip