Hi Tiago,

The kernel team have reviewed the patch, and it has received 2x acks [1]
and it has been applied [2] to the Jammy kernel git tree [3].

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2022-April/129208.html
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2022-April/129498.html
[3]
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/jammy/commit/?id=438e2ff5cbc602384724c217880f216221b93ffc

I am expecting it to be contained in the 2022.04.18 Kernel SRU cycle,
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/, and I will write back with more details once
it has been built and placed into -proposed for verification.

Thanks,
Matthew

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Jammy)

  Enable speakup kernel modules to allow the speakup screen reader to
  function

Status in linux source package in Jammy:

  BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1967702

  [Impact]

  Blind system administrators rely on the speakup accessibility feature
  to be able to use screen readers in text mode, like "espeakup".

  Ubuntu has enabled CONFIG_SPEAKUP for a significant amount of time,
  although in recent releases it keeps being disabled. In Hirsute and
  Impish, it was accidentally disabled due to it moving from
  drivers/staging/ to drivers/accessibility/, and it was re-added by Tim
  Gardner in LP1942459.

  When it was recently re-enabled, the patch was never applied to
  ubuntu-unstable, and thus was never picked up by Jammy.

  We need to enable CONFIG_ACCESSIBILITY and CONFIG_SPEAKUP in Jammy and
  ubuntu-unstable.

  [Fix]

  We need to enable the following configuration items:

  CONFIG_ACCESSIBILITY=y
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP=m

  and the additional modules:

  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_ACNTSA=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_APOLLO=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_AUDPTR=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_BNS=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DECEXT=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DECTLK=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DUMMY=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_LTLK=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SPKOUT=m
  CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_TXPRT=m

  [Testcase]

  Install the speakup accessibility tool:

  $ sudo apt install espeakup

  Check journalctl to see if it is able to load kernel modules:

  systemd[1]: Starting Software speech output for Speakup...
  modprobe[27013]: modprobe: FATAL: Module speakup_soft not found in directory
/lib/modules/5.15.0-25-generic
  systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Control process exited, code=exited,
status=1/FAILURE
  systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
  systemd[1]: Failed to start Software speech output for Speakup.
  systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
  systemd[1]: Stopped Software speech output for Speakup.
  systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
  systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
  systemd[1]: Failed to start Software speech output for Speakup.

  We should see espeakup.service start correctly, instead of failing to
  load speakup_soft:

  systemd[1]: Starting Software speech output for Speakup...
  kernel: input: Speakup as /devices/virtual/input/input5
  kernel: initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 123)
  kernel: speakup 3.1.6: initialized
  kernel: synth name on entry is: (null)
  kernel: synth probe
  kernel: initialized device: /dev/softsynth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 122)
  kernel: initialized device: /dev/softsynthu, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 121)
  systemd[1]: Started Software speech output for Speakup.

  You can also try load the modules manually:

  $ sudo modprobe speakup_soft

  There is a test package available in the following ppa:

  https://launchpad.net/~mruffell/+archive/ubuntu/lp1967702-test

  If you install the test kernel, the speakup modules should load
  successfully.

  [Where problems could occur]

  We are enabling CONFIG_ACCESSIBILITY for all arches apart from s390x,
  and this shouldn't have any affect on config items being turned on,
  since it simply enables the speakup submenu to be shown.

  Enabling CONFIG_SPEAKUP* should not have any impact on users that
  don't use screen reader accessibility software, as it will only be
  loaded by users of espeakup.

  If a regression were to occur, users could unload the speakup modules.