So in short yes we are talking blocking this however its not as bad as
that makes it sound. There is the immediate technical side, and the
reason we must do that, and then there is longer term practical use
side.

So the technical short answer is yes that will be blocked at least
without additional confinement. Does it suck for people who want to
setup containers without using root privs. Yes. There is just no way
around this, we can't only block the bad uses, there is no way to know
what they are in advance. The best we can do is default deny and
selectively allow. And the ability to selectively allow can't be
something the attacker can do without privilege, or they have an easy
way to by-pass the restriction.

With that said. It should be fairly easy to make sure there is a generic
profile that will work with most lxc/lxd containers, and that can be
transparent to the user. LXD already offers support for apparmor and the
lxd devs are aware of the coming changes, so I expect the actual impact
on your use case will be minimal to none.

And there is always the option of adjust the sysctl to disable the
feature or your systems. We just can't make that a default for the
distro as it isn't secure.

  unconfined profile denies userns_create for chromium based processes

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  For Ubuntu 22.10, since the last kernel update, i canĀ“t launch any
  chromium based browser, due to apparmor denying userns_create

  dmesg shows:
  apparmor="DENIED" operation="userns_create" class="namespace" info="User
namespace creation restricted" error=-13 profile="unconfined" pid=21323
comm="steamwebhelper" requested="userns_create" denied="userns_create"

  This happens for every process which uses a chromium engine, like
  google chrome itself or in this case steamwebhelper.

  Might be related to this change?:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/20220801180146.1157914-5-f...@cloudflare.com/

  not sure if it got merged in this form though..