Quick update, this was still happening with Jammy, and it it still
happening with Noble.

The pattern I identified for 90% chances of hanging on wake up:
- boot or wake up from suspend to RAM
- use the laptop for a short time (short being less than a couple hours)
- suspend to RAM

  [Asus ZenBook UX430UAR] Laptop often freezes after waking up from
  suspend to ram

  Hi,

  After waking up from suspend to RAM, my computer actually wakes up but
  can sometimes then hang on a black screen (no prompt, nothing
  displayed, screen is active).

  This issue happens quite frequently but seems rather random. I think
  certain circumstances lower the frequency (I'll elaborate in the
  report).

  First of all, I'm not exactly sure when it started but I would say
  first notable frequent occurrences were around summer 2021 (yes, I'm
  late, sorry for that).

  When this happens, Algr+SysRQ+[usb] is unresponsive.

  -------------------------- EDIT ----------------------
  EDIT: This is actually not true. The laptop will eventually reboot by itself,
and when this happens quickly enough after I have hit SysRq keys, it can be
mistakenly taken for a working SysRq request.

  Or at least that's what I used to believe as it used to be true as I always
tried from the laptop integrated keyboard. Until I connected an USB-C
mechanical keyboard, from which I'm *sometimes* able to use the magic keys (not
always, and with a lot of lag, but still).
  -------------------------- EDIT ----------------------

  If magic keys are unresponsive, I need to hard reset/long press power.
  There is nothing unusual before that in syslog nor kern.log, at least
  not that I know of. Except the ^@^@^@ characters when I had to hard
  reset the computer.

  If I leave the laptop like that for a while, it eventually reboots by
  itself and stays on the FDE passphrase prompt (which is not nice as
  the screen can then stay on for a very long like that if I did not
  notice).

  I'm running KDE/Plasma desktop, and this issue has happened regardless
  of the display manager. I used to run Xorg but now I'm on wayland
  flavor (mostly to alleviate firefox rendering/compositing issues).

  This also seems unrelated to external screen being connected or not,
  as it happened in the past regardless of that parameter. Although, it
  *seems* frequency has lowered a bit since I changed the way I wake up
  my laptop.

  Higher frequency (almost every day):
  - no external screen or external screen connected to HDMI port
  - waking up from integrated keyboard power button short press

  Lower frequency (one to multiple times a week, but somewhat irregular, since
~ 2 months ago):
  - external screen connected to USB-C port
  - mechanical keyboard connected to USB-C port of screen
  - waking up from the mechanical keyboard

  It also seems to happen more frequently if I wake up the computer, do
  some very fast task and send it to sleep in under a few minutes. It's
  not guaranteed to happen, but seems to highly increase the
  probability.

  Also, this might be related so I'm adding that bit:

  I had to disable shutting the screen Off in energy saving settings, as
  enabling that option would trigger a similar behavior after a break
  long enough for that setting to trigger. I would come back on a laptop
  having self-rebooted and waiting for my input on the FDE passphrase
  prompt.

  During ACPI options testing, I noticed that setting might cause the
  sleep order to get cancelled. From that, I suspect in that case the
  laptop would go to sleep, then wake up immediately, which could have
  been triggering the bug as I described previously that rapid state
  changes would increase probability. Then as I described earlier, if I
  do nothing when this happens, the computer eventually reboots.

  This is only speculation as I'm usually not here to observe the
  behavior (this mostly happened during lunch breaks, which are long
  enough for all of these steps to happen).

  I disabled screen turn-off energy saving option a long while ago and
  have taken the habit of manually suspending to RAM when I intend on
  going away from the computer for more than a few minutes.

  As I described above, I've tried a few changes to check for behavior but that
was a few months ago and I don't clearly remember all scenario. What I remember
is that changing any of these did not resolve my issue and some even prevented
my computer to even suspend to RAM properly (waking up immediately after).
Among the options I tried is:
  - booting with a previous kernel, but then it's been happening for so long
this would obviously not work (just for the sake of completion)
  - booting on latest mainstream kernel (tested
linux-image-unsigned-6.0.9-060009-generic, this was the latest version when I
tried a while ago)
  - booting with i915.enable_dpcd_backlight=3 (I think this one triggered the
immediate wake up)
  - booting with nolapic, noapic (didn't try acpi=off nor acpi=ht as it seems
to me it would disable suspend to RAM feature, right?)

  I think that's about it, and I'd be happy to try any suggestion.

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+23ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.3
  Architecture: amd64
  BootLog: Error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/boot.log'
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CompositorRunning: None
  CurrentDesktop: KDE