I have encountered this issue as well, notably on Lenovo ThinkPad L15
Gen 2 (AMD) and L15 Gen 4 (Intel) devices. What also helps is unloading
and then reloading the `atkbd` kernel driver.

The issue has also been reproduced by a number of Arch Linux users on
L14 and L15 hardware of various generations:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=274456&p=2

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-signed-hwe-5.8 in Ubuntu.

  AT Translated Set 2 keyboard locks up seemingly randomly, infinitely
  repeating last pressed key

Status in linux-signed-hwe-5.8 package in Ubuntu:

  I am running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on my ThinkPad L15 laptop.

  From time to time the keyboard gets stuck / locked up. Sometimes it
  takes days to happen, sometimes it happens within a few minutes. It
  also does not seem to depend on the programs I am running, it seems to
  be entirely random. Basically, I am working/playing on the laptop and
  then suddenly the key I pressed last "gets stuck" and the keyboard
  does not respond any more. Other than that everything is running fine
  and I can still use the mouse and so on, but logging out does not
  resolve the issue and only a restart seems to work. I have also tried
  connecting a USB keyboard while the problem is occurring. The external
  keyboard is then detected and works fine, the built-in keyboard stops
  sending the signal and remains unresponsive.

  I have already mentioned the problem here, but it could not be resolved:
  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2460675
  I have also contacted Lenovo Hardware Support, and ran their tests, but those
did not return anything, so they said it was not a hardware issue.

  My best guess is that it is a bug in the driver for the AT Translated
  Set 2 keyboard (I have the German keyboard layout), which is listed as
  supported hardware. Current and latest driver version is 1.0.1

  Package: linux-image-5.8.0-53-generic 5.8.0-53.60~20.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.8.0-53.60~20.04.1-generic 5.8.18
  Uname: Linux 5.8.0-53-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip