Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Regression CIFS mounted DFS

Status in linux source package in Jammy:

  On Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (jammy jellyfish) we mount a DFS file service
  using CIFS with kerberos authentication.  After the kernel upgrade
  from 5.15.0-86-generic to 5.15.0-88-generic (exact version:
  5.15.0-88.98) this stopped working. The mount seems to have worked,
  but files and directories are inaccessible. A non-DFS CIFS share
  mounted on the same client machine is not affected.

  In our case the filesystem is mounted using autofs with the following mapping:
  /dfs-share  -fstype=cifs,sec=krb5,vers=3,multiuser,noserverino
://example.com/share

  Kernel log messages:
  CIFS: Attempting to mount \\example.com\share
  CIFS: VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\example.com\share
  CIFS: VFS: Verify user has a krb5 ticket and keyutils is installed
  CIFS: VFS: \\CLx-Ny.EXAMPLE.COM Send error in SessSetup = -126

  We confirmed that kernel version 5.15.0-88 causes this by booting
  different kernel versions repeatedly. When booting 5.15.0-86
  everything worked properly as before.

  Though not familiar with kernel coding, we found changes in the source
  code that seem to confirm that some code dealing with DFS has changed,
  moved, or removed.

  After:
  git clone
git://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/jammy

  This:
  git diff Ubuntu-5.15.0-86.96 Ubuntu-5.15.0-88.98 -- fs/cifs/cifs_dfs_ref.c

  This suggests the function cifs_dfs_do_mount() has been (re)moved.