** Tags added: kernel-bug regression-release

  Random flickering with i915 on Linux 6.8

  After migrating Mantic 23.10 install to Linux 6.8.0, I am experiencing heavy
flickering at random.
  It happens after a moderate to heavy on screen activity like window
switching, scrolling etc.
  It never happens when playing video or when there is no interaction using
keyboard/pointer.

  It tend to happen when the mouse cursor is in the bottom quarter of the
screen and stops immediately when the cursor leaves that screen region.
  Around the same time the following appears in kernel log:
  kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

  Happens on both X11 and Wayland on both KDE plasma and Mate (though
  less).

  I first encountered the issue with Linux 6.8.0-11 and it still happens with
Ubunutu's 6.8.0-28 and Mainline 6.8.7.
  Kernels 6.6, 6.5, 6.1 and older did not have that issue.

  Hardware is: Dell XPS 9350, Vendor Intel, Driver i915, Skylake GT2 [HD
Graphics 520]
  Software: Ubuntu 23.10, KDE Plasma 5.27.10 / Mate 1.26

  Attaching kernel log for 6.8.0-28