Thanks @dannf for updating the bug! The SRU description looks good to me
and everything seems reasonable, same with the plan.

I'll keep monitoring this tracker and we'll proceed once oracular will
be open.

Packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  Backport iproute2 6.8.0 to noble

Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:

  Several networking features introduced in the upstream 6.2->6.8 kernels are
not accessible to noble users because noble lacks the corresponding iproute2
update. This includes support for new hardware features such as per-VF offload
settings (see bug 2060969), but many others that you can see in the attached
changelogs.

  Normally iproute2 is updated during the devel cycle to align with the
  kernel version, but it was missed this cycle and discovered too late
  for an FFe. We request an exception from the SRU team to do this as an
  SRU. This includes dropping the Ubuntu Fan patches, which adds
  features to iproute2 that no longer work since noble's kernels no
  longer support Ubuntu Fan.

  [Test Case]
  We'll run the 6.8 kernel self tests, which make use of a number of iproute2
features (see comment #17). NVIDIA's networking organization (Mellanox) has
offered to put this through their QA process (details TBD). The upstream test
suite will also run in the autopkgtests, though that suite is fairly stale.

  [What Could Go Wrong]
  Users who may be running noble userspace with a non-noble kernel that
supports Ubuntu Fan would lose support for configuring it. If the SRU team
considers this to be a regression we should avoid, then we can add the Ubuntu
Fan patches back.

  iproute2 6.8 upstream retains backwards compatibility with earlier
  releases (see comment #17). There are no commits with a Fixes:
  annotation since the v6.8.0 tag was applied upstream.

  iproute2 is obviously a key package, and any upstream version bump
  carries risk. This includes the possibility of breaking networking for
  users of an Ubuntu LTS release.