On 5/16/23 10:51, Bruce A. Metcalf wrote:
On 5/15/23 16:41, Galen Charlton wrote:

3. Can I install a new instance in the same virtual machine and
transfer the settings and data?

Almost everything worth permanently keeping in a typical Koha system
is stored in the database. Is MySQL/MariaDB running and can you get a
 mysqldump?

I'm not sure. How can one tell? There is a MySQL instance running, but I suspect that may be for one of the other servers. There is no MariaDB running, which I recall having switched to some time back.

Can I buy a clue about how to run mysqldump?

MariaDB's process name is mysql, it doesn't matter much which you are using.

you can make a backup wich mysqldump like this:

mysqldump -u root -p --all-databases > backup.sql

you should run this command from a directory with enough space to hold a backup of your database.

you can reinstall koha-common by issuing this command:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall koha-common

it should pull any missing dependencies.

Have you tried to backup your koha instance with "koha_dump" ? if your library instance is called "thisone", use:  sudo koha_dump thisone

it should put the backup on /var/spool/koha/thisone/

This process creates a mysqldump backup of just your database, and copies the rest of your koha files to a tar file.  Those files can be used with koha_restore but if they can be made, your koha should be good enough for you to repair it.

If not, are there at least database files present in /var/lib/mysql?

If /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 is the right file, then yes. It's almost a GB in size, which seems reasonable for the library's data.

A current copy of the database could be imported into a fresh install
of Koha (either in a new VM or after a wipe and recreation of the
existing one - though if you do a wipe, triple-check that your
database export is good!).

Right. Tried to delete Koha and reinstall, but there was no change in the resultant. Wiping the whole VM is impractical due to the other servers on it, though that may prove necessary.

I continue to suspect that the problem lies with the upgrades from Debian 9 to 10 and Koha 21.05 to 21.11. Something didn't upgrade correctly, or there's a hidden incompatibility, that's stopping work.

Thanks for the ideas.

Respectfully,
/ Bruce /
Bruce A. Metcalf, Librarian