on Sat Apr 26 2008, Avi Kivity <avi-AT-qumranet.com> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> If I suspend my host while running a Windows XP guest, the whole machine
>> crashes, so I was hoping to automate hibernation of the guest OS and
>> integrate that into my host's suspend process.  Does anyone know how to
>> do that?
>>

> It's doable (not sure how), but kvm ought not to crash when resuming.

If I run the same disk image using virt-manager I can suspend it quickly
through the virt-manager interface (or virsh), and suspend/resume works.
However, I don't know how to replicate the networking I get from

  kvm -no-acpi -smp 1 -m 1000 -redir tcp:3389::3389 -usb -usbdevice tablet
-boot c /mnt/usr_local/vm/xp-overlay.qcow2

which is my usual launch command.  In particular, I don't know how to
reproduce the -redir tcp:3389::3389 in that VM file, and the guest seems
to think it's running on different hardware.  If I could figure out how
to get the equivalent of virsh's suspend command when invoking kvm from
the command line, or how to get virtual-manager to run my existing VM
as-is, I'd be all set.  Knowing both would be best of all ;-)

Any hints?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing