Hi David,

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 10:48:36PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:22:52AM -0700, David Daney wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on the MIPS KVM port, and am trying to figure out under
> > which circumstances do I need to srcu_read_lock()/srcu_read_unlock()
> > the kvm->srcu.

Is your work somehow related to the work of Sanjay Lal that can be found
here: https://git.linux-mips.org/?p=ralf/upstream-sfr.git;a=summary?

Some clarification/addition to what Marcelo said below.

> For x86: kvm->srcu protects memory slot information (kvm->memslots) and
> in-kernel MMIO/PIO address->device structure mapping (kvm->buses).
> Search for synchronize_srcu_expedited() in virt/kvm/ to locate the
> updaters.
This is not only for x86. Any arch code that access memslots have to be
srcu read protected.

> > I am looking at implementing something similar to arch/x86/kvm/x86.c
> > at __msr_io(), where we see:
> >
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >     idx = srcu_read_lock(&vcpu->kvm->srcu);
> >     for (i = 0; i < msrs->nmsrs; ++i)
> >             if (do_msr(vcpu, entries[i].index, &entries[i].data))
> >                     break;
> >     srcu_read_unlock(&vcpu->kvm->srcu, idx);
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >
> > Why is the srcu_read_lock() taken here?  I see no srcu_dereference()
> > in the code path that would indicate the need for obtaining the
> > lock.
>
>         case KVM_GET_MSRS:
>                 r = msr_io(vcpu, argp, kvm_get_msr, 1);
>                 break;
>         case KVM_SET_MSRS:
>                 r = msr_io(vcpu, argp, do_set_msr, 0);
>                 break;

> int kvm_get_msr(struct kvm_vcpu *vcpu, u32 msr_index, u64 *pdata)
> {
>         return kvm_x86_ops->get_msr(vcpu, msr_index, pdata);
> }
>
> Somewhere down that path memslot information must be accessed.

As Marcelo explained bellow on X86 srcu lock is held while vcpu loop is
running, so all the code that is usually called from vcpu does not do
its own locking. In rare cases that this code is called not from vcpu
main loop the locking is done explicitly on the high level.

This design is architecture choice. Other arches access memslot much
less and do locking as close to memslot access as possible.