I personally would go for a linux, web-based solution using mysql and PHP.
Right now I use whatever old recycled PC's I can get my hands on, install
modem, NIC (in case they allow me into their network) win98 and VNC server
(www.realvnc.com ) to remote in. The local pc shop sells the refurbed PC's
for under $200. That's cheaper than the modem card alone!

Thank You,

John Berry, Owner
Lantex Voice & Data Systems
San Diego, CA 92114