> AFAIK the usual way is first contributing and later applying for membership.
Yes, you're right on that. But as I am listed in the some of the
source files it seems as if I have scontributed already :-)

> You can work on it without being a 'official' member of the project.
My Problem is that my local patch will become very large and complex,
and I'd rather split the whole thing in simpler and more managable
chunks.

For example the code that manages MapCore.win setting and unsetting is
spread over two modules. The Browser class instantiates them, but the
value itself is used as a flag in other places of the code, also the
code is very much tied into the Browser class' internals. This would
be fine if the applet wouldn't have a Browser window at all, so I'd
have to duplicate all the window managing code in the Applet module,
which is not a good thing. Or rather split the managing code of the
Map Windows into a module on its own, that can then be used by both
Browser and Applet. And now we're speaking about a large change
set ... which I'd rather split in two parts and apply one after the
other.

So my original question remains, would somebody please tell me how to
proceed on this?

Best regards,