I couldn't find much with a quick look. But yes, I have (re)invented this
wheel and it seems to work.

There can be as much or little structure as desired and I can output an
outline-like file *provided* that I ignore circular links. I do this by
saying that a parent can have any number of children, but a child can only
have one parent, and if I encounter a link that is a second parent for  a
given node, I simply ignore that link.

Of course, all nodes don't have to be linked to other nodes or to the
origin. There can be any amount of standalone structure.

I'll spruce things up a bit and post here in a few days. It's relatively
crude but it works.

I could have stayed with VYM, which already outputs org-mode and many
others, but I do like Labyrinth's ease of use and particularly speed of
use, in addition to the completely free-form placement of nodes. I'm
finding it to be a terrific tool for developing ideas for fiction.