Julie wrote:
This is a staggeringly technical question, but I would like to
know the answer and can't think of who else to ask.
I am working through Chapter 3 Bucks Point of Pamela Nottingham's "The
Technique of Bobbin Lace Completely Revised New Edition".

Neither is wrong (or they're both right - depends which way uou look at it!) The important thing is whether you like the result so go ahead and do what sems best to you. The first time the 'valley' headside appeared Pam Nottingham will have explained exactly what to do, after that you're supposed to use what you've learnt already and any other diagrams provided (at least that's the way I write instruction books).

Right now I'm working hard at my latest effort for the Lace Guild - An Introduction to Bedfordshire Lace - which I'm hoping to finish by the middle of February. Is there anyone out there with time to test a pattern for me?

Jean in very wet and windy Glasgow