Here in the UK visitors are allowed to come to the annual general meeting of The Lace Guild so I was surprised that visitors were not allowed at the IOLI meeting (my friend was turned away too). Perhaps it's a country difference in the rules governing such organizations? There haven't beem any problems with visitors at Lace Guild AGMs - visitors are reminded at the start of the meeting that they do not have a vote, and anyone wishing to speak has to give their name and membership number (Comvention attendees have their membership no. printed on their badges).
Jean