I think the annual Royal Highland Show is probably the nearest Scottish equivalent to state fairs.This usually has three lace classes in the Handcrafts section - two for bobbin lace and one for tatting (needle lace often fits in one of the embroidery classes). In most cases a particular item is specified e.g handkerchief but this is changed each year. I reckon this has several advantages - entrants know what to make, pieces to be judged are similar, and the display at the show will probably look better.
Jean