In a message dated 11/30/04 3:14:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> A felt lining works well for me - it keeps the emery powder inside and
> makes
> the cushion more comfortable to use when pushing in the pins.

Dear Lacemakers (especially those new to such things),

A reminder when using felt for pin cushions - the felt *must be made of
wool*.  If it is a synthetic felt, it will hold moisture and that will damage
pins
left in it.

Margot in Halifax - I loved your method of constructing a pin cushion and
have put the instructions in a permanent file.  "Genius" should be your middle
name!

Everyone:  Always think through solutions to determine if they will do the
job, but do no harm.  This is what conservators are taught, and works well for
many things in daily life.  Even designing.  Think what you want something to
look like and what its function will be.  Then, figure out how to get there.
This is especially important when making something that requires supplies in
pre-determined sizes, such as the face powder container Margot used, or sizes
of
frames available ready-made - which will cost much less than a custom-made
frame.

Kind regards,

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center