Brenda Paternoster wrote:

A strange website!

I clicked on "cours" and then "etudes des fond" and then "lancer le
cours"
and got an error page telling me that the browser I'm using is too old
and that I should update to IE 5.5 (for Windows)

That happened with Safari 1.3, Internet Explorer 5.2.3 for Mac,
Netscape7 - all current versions.
I know that there is rivalry between browser makers/writers/publishers
but in general it's not good practice to make a site inaccesible to a
lot of potential visitors.  What is it that IE 5.5 for Windows can do
that 5.2 for Mac can't?

The site uses dynamic HTML which has been written in terms of the Microsoft version of the Document Object Model (DOM). If it had been written better (or later than 2002-3) it would have provided alternatives for the standards version of the DOM which I believe Firefox and Safari follow, as professional modern sites that employ this technology do. It turns out that the Mac version of IE doesn't work on the pages either <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/aplimouzin/fonds/>, but it would never have had a chance to try, as the checking script that is invoked when you hit the button locks out any browser that isn't Internet Explorer of version number 5.5 or higher.

David

PS
And, no, the page doesn't validate because the person that scripted it makes no pretence that it conforms to any standards - it's written to work with one brand of browser on one platform, which it does.