We have just updated the Lace Guild website with extracts of Lace Magazine for October, a festive Christmas tassel on the Young Lacemakers page, and the usual events and suppliers updates and ...

... the Lace Guild Advent Calendar for 2005.

Some of you will be familiar with this, but for those who are not:
This is an interactive advent calendar which you get to by clicking on the sprig of green holly on the top menu bar of The Lace Guild website home page <http://www.laceguild.org>. You use your mouse to open the windows, but you can only open the windows up to the current date (so no cheating is possible unless you are a hacker) where you are rewarded with a lace-related picture. I'm afraid you need javascript (scripting) turned on in your web browser for this to work, so there may be the odd work computer that will not let you open the windows. Three of the days have links to small lace patterns - but you'll have to wait a few days for the first. There's also a competition with prizes. This year it is to identify the country of origin of some lace headdresses from traditional costumes. The countries are all European, but North Americans etc. should not be discouraged as we Europeans don't walk around dressed like this all the time (I certainly don't) so we don't really have an advantage. To make it easier there is a drop-down list of countries to choose from. (To make it more difficult there are twice as many countries as pictures.) Some of you might like to try your 'Googling' skills to find the answers (no that isn't traditional European whistling in the dark - you're thinking of yodeling).

That's about it. If you have any problems email us and we'll try to sort them out. If you can't see the holly or the text link, try refreshing your browser. The date at the bottom of the page should be 30th November.

Best wishes,

Jean and David (in Glasgow)

PS The calendar may be slow to display first time because it's loading all the pictures in the background. Subsequently it should have them in its 'memory store' and come up more quickly.

PPS There is also a French language version of the Advent Calendar, thanks to all our volunteer translators.
--
Lace Guild home page: http://www.laceguild.org
(alternative if problems: http://www.laceguild.demon.co.uk/)