At 5:24 pm -0400 21/5/07, lace-digest wrote:
 > In the book Modern Lace, the author calls for "Translucent Lurex
 thread". Can anyone tell me where in the US this can be obtained or
 what the equivalent would be? Thanks.

Who's the author of this book?  What sort of lace is it?

The book will be Modern Bobbin Lace by Karen Marie Iversen. She was my 'co-tutor' when I taught some Bedfordshire lace workshops in Denmark earlier this year.

I asked her about the threads and she told me "you can use 6-strand embroidery thread, 1 strand is needed, the thread has the same thicknes as DMC, Mayflower and Anchor threads, Venus is a bit thicker but not so much" (these are 80 crochet cotton).

One of my students has made the first design. She used one strand of a 'sparkly' white embroidery thread for the lurex worker and it gave the desired effect.

The designs do need to be stiffened - my student tried spray starch, diluted PVA glue and the stiffener sold by the Kantcentrum on samples and we both thought the Kantcentrum stiffener worked best. It's not easy to get hold of as it's methanol-based and can't be posted but I've since been told that this stiffener is really made and used for straw hats which may help you to find a supply.

Jean in sunny Glasgow, Scotland