I haven't made one yet but I did pick up some large heavy duty cardboard tubes
from a local carpet shop.  They usually just throw them in the dumpster and
said I could have as many as I wanted.  I took one a little over 4 1/4" in
diameter and another a little over 5 1/4"  in diameter.   They were about 12
feet long so I had to cut the length down to get them in my car.  They also
had small pieces of thin plywood underlay that I thought I might be able to
use for a base for a lace box.  (You never know!).  My plan is to wrap cut the
tube to a reasonable length and wrap it with wool to a thickness that will
support pins.  If I need extra weight I can put a zip lock bag with dried
beans inside the tube before putting a cover over it.  It's a plan anyway.
The price is right (free).
Liz in cold Missouri where we will probably receive another batch of winter
weather just as soon as we get over the one from yesterday.  But we've had it
pretty good so far this winter so I'm not complaining (much).

Have seem them resting on stands and in baskets - has
anyone on the list made one for themselves?  Know where the local
plumbing supplies place is, assume that would be a good place to go for a
 tube.  Any recommendations about diameter and length would be
gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Mary Carey