Vila, I feel the same way!  There have been many times in life when I have
been shot down in the prescence of others when I attempted to contribute
something in various circumstance.   I tend to be a non-combative type of
person so I don't challenge the other person (even when I disagree or feel
they are wrong).   I step back and let them carry on since it appears to me
they want the spotlight, even though it makes me feel humiliated.  When I know
I'm not an expert at something, I enjoy learning from others and am very
thankful they are willing to "share."  I don't consider it being a parasite.
The key word is "share" - which to mean means to give a part of, not drain the
life out of.  A student tries to learn all they can about a subject; the
teacher tries to impart their knowledge.  Their should be a certain amount of
joy in both parts of the relationship or why do it?
Liz in Missouri where we are having unseasonably warm weather.  Yay!

I tend to lurk on lists.  I share when I know for certain I know what I am
talking about or feel strongly about something. The reason I don't
post more on the different lists is the very real possibility of nasty replies
when my reply is deemed incorrect or my post is taken wrong....
Lurkers on these lists are not demanding that the ones who post do more. So in
that way they are not takers, they are
gathering information and feeling like they are part of a community. Not
everyone is outgoing, it is hard for many introverts to put themselves
forward - even with the shield of the internet.

Vila Cox ~ Warped & Wonderful