Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 21:02:39 -0600
From: "Lorelei Halley" <lhal...@bytemeusa.com>
Subject: [lace] RE: Mechlin

Alex

Of the books you list, I only have Levey and Palliser. Palliser was trying to
be scholarly

Hi Lorelei

As far as I have managed to understand it the ,Mechlin, made before about 1740
was the early type with an all-over design that rarely contained the ground we
now class as Mechlin, i.e. hexagons with vertical plaits of four half stitches
with two twists on the pairs on the diagonal sides. I have one piece
containing plaits of only three half stitches. From my reading it would appear
that it was after this, when the general design changed and more ground was
used, that the different names were used.

It is most confusing

Alex