Hi Friends,

Still asking myself questions as to when spangling began!

I decided that the OED might have the answers.

Well no, there does not seem to have any special reference to spangling (and all the other words) a bobbin. It does refer to decorating an object.

I also looked up Gingle, Jingle and any other words that came to mind related to decorating a bobbin, but nothing turned up.

I need to say that my interest in the OED was sparked by reading the book that has a title similar to The Dictionary of Lost Words, Pip Williams.  Its a great book and entertaining, but its key message is that "women's words" were not collected.  Not that they would not collect them but the process of adding a word was (briefly and in general) a person would write to the authors with an example of the word , the date and the context of its use. It would then be put on a piece of paper and filed when they got to that letter. It was included after learned discussion.

The whole point of this is that it was basically a male group of editors and men were mostly the ones who sent in word examples and who made the decisions to include the word.

My best guess at the moment is that spangling bobbins started after 1750 and probably quite closer to 1800.  No proofs offered, just that feeling I have having been writing about bobbins for a lot of years.

--
Brian Cooranbong Australia.
 If you are a bit bored, then spend a bit of time looking at my Hobbies below. Patchwork Activities: