Marti,
While converting to and from XYZ synthetic gradients get lots of
partitial color casts, the german word is Farbabriss - color cut(?).
Using Your latest version.

By the way tifficc seems not help for testing, because of XYZ
integers not directly supported by the TIFF spec?

regards
Kai-Uwe

Am 19.09.04, 00:20 +0200 schrieb Gerhard Fuernkranz:

> Marti Maria schrieb:
>
> > The computations are done in 16 bits of precision, unless of course, you
> > recompile the engine with USE_FLOAT. But even in this case temporary results
> > are stored in 16 bits. This is enough for most imaging operations were
> > visual accuracy is about 11 bits at most.
> >
> Hi Marti,
>
> this number corresponds with an experiment I've done recently:
>
> I selected 5000 colors, distributed approximately evenly within the sRGB
> gamut. Then I computed the gradients dXYZ/dE94 for each color. The lowest
> value I got was 0.023, which is approx 100/4347. This means, in the worst
> areas of the sRGB gamut, an dX, dY or dZ step of 0.023 corresponds to one de94
> unit, and in all other areas, even a larger XYZ step is necessary to become
> noticeable. Log2(4347) = 12.1, thus approx. 12 bits (in linear XYZ space) are
> sufficient, in order that (in the worst case) the size of a one LSB step drops
> below 1 dE94 unit. Since the quantization error is only 1/2 LSB, we need even
> one bit less, if our goal is a max. quantization error below 1 dE94.
>
> For 4750 out of the 5000 considered colors (i.e. 95% quantile), the gradient
> was above 0.079, which is 100/1265, corresponding to 10.3 bits, to achieve a
> one LSB step size of 1 dE94. Thus 9.3 bits are sufficient for 95% of all
> considered colors, if I want the quantization error drop below 1 dE94.
>
> So yes, with 16 bits of precision for the internal computations of the
> transform there should be still some room in the "normal" case, where the
> image is already normalized to the desired white point luminance, before the
> transform is applied.
>
> But it looks like people also desire to apply transforms to HDR images. So if
> one applies a transform to an image, and THEREAFTER wants for instance to
> scale up the luminace of the transformed image by e.g. a factor of 1000, in
> order to extract very dark areas of the HDR image, then he has rather lost
> with a 16-bit transform, even if the original HDR image (before the transform)
> would have contained enough accurate shadow detail information for the desired
> luminance upscaling.
>
> Regards,
> Gerhard

Mit freundlichen Grüßen