Am Sonntag, 6. Juni 2010 22:35:08 schrieb Andrew:
> 06.06.2010 22:57, KP Kirchdoerfer пишет:
> > I saw and will see, how it works once we try to build a release.
> >
> > I'd like to note that we do not support a floppy version any longer, with
> > the 2.6 kernel there is no room IMHO to build a floppy version that
> > provides a reasonable set of packages. So we are in need to support CD,
> > USB and HD based versions and shall concentrate on working on solutions
> > (which seems to be easier these days,  than years ago, if I look at the
> > major distributions).
>
> IMHO it'll be possible to make 2xfloppy version (1.68 or 1.76M) - one
> floppy for kernel+initrd (compressed to lzma - now it's still in gzip),
> other - for config + packages, especially after splitting busybox to
> small executables + shared library... But somebody really need this?

There has been a 2floppy-setup years ago, but as LEAF is targeting to mainly
unattended devices and easily to restart, I think two floppies are not the
way to go and the working on it, is almost wasted time.

> But I think that it'll be good to make initrd for PXE booting in future,
> with package loading via tftp or nfs...

Maybe a way to go - at least for those who aren't in for maximum security.

> > The floppy image to create an ISO was intentionally, cause I had pb's to
> > run an isolinux CD on older machines (something LEAF is also targeting
> > to) - the floppy image was kind of a last resort. Anyway, if we make
> > changes like these, then in the early build process, so it's the time to
> > do so.
> >
> > kp
>
> You mean 486/Pentium, or something  newer?

I mean a 486 based computer. But that's still one, which can act as a router.

Those who like to deploy a router which consumes less power, choose an alix
box or something similar - but those small machines don't have a cdrom-drive
anyway.