Am Montag, 9. August 2010, 15:01:57 schrieb Andrew:

> >> Is it really actually to have IPv6 support for every configuration? IMHO
> >> now in many cases IPv6 modules will just waste space.
> >
> > I believe in two years ipv6 will be a usual demand.
> > Given the slow pace of adoption of a new major release, thinking two yrs
> > into the future is IMHO reasonable.
> >
> > We started to provide ipv6 support years ago - sometimes as seperate
> > packages, but more often ipv6 support is compiled into the currently
> > build packages by configuration settings.
> > So either we waste space in the latter packages, or we waste time for
> > maintenance and administration with the divided packages.
> >
> > As we make huge changes right now (discontinue floppy support, kernel,
> > uClibc, udev),  and therefor making a real cut, moving forward to
> > consolidate the remaining splitted packages into a ipv6-ready-form
> > the-start router seems a logic and consequent step to me.
> >
> > kp
>
> But in that case it must at least have some global variable to disable
> IPv6 support (especially daemons like ospf6d autostart).

Good point.

> Because in SOHO
> applications or even in some ISP networks not always present IPv6. And
> even most cheap SONO routers like DLink comes without IPv6 support - and
> it additionally slows migration to IPv6.

SOHO applications and routers don't bother me.

A possible solution is to enhance ipv6 where possible (we do it today with
ipv6 enabled packages like dnsmasq) and where itwon't raise pb's if no ipv6 is
available: For example a merged shorewall package with shorewall and
shorewall6 is no pb without having ipv6 , cause you can disable shorewall6 in
shorewall6.config (which is the default setting anyway). Similar moddb and
moddb6 can be merged, its just about having the modules in one lrp, one can
decide about modules to load in modules.conf - a usual task.
I guess ip6tables will not cause harm on ipv4-only system, at least it was
installed on my desktop without asking me if I do have ipv6 :)

Looking through the package directory in buildenv, these are the three
packages I have in mind.