Hi DavidMBrooke

Am Dienstag, 14. September 2010, 21:15:06 schrieb davidMbrooke:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been following the progress on Bering-uClibc4 with some interest.
> Kudos to Andrew and the team for what has been achieved so far!

The credit deserves Andrew, who did most of the hard work lately.

> It seems that we are close to having a stable v4 platform.
> For me a 2.6 Kernel, Shorewall 4.x and excellent IPv6 support are all
> important, and the extra size is not a big problem.

I agree, that a stable version seems to be very close.
Apart from the wireless problems I'm using v4 in daily production for weeks
without any major problems.

> We will need some new user (and developer?) documentation for
> Bering-uClibc4, at least to reflect the differences from v3 and
> preferably to improve on what we have already. I would like to volunteer
> to help with this.

Any help is welcome, and writing documentation is always not the fun part...

> At the moment our master documentation source is maintained in DocBook
> format and converted to HTML for on-line viewing. Personally I like
> DocBook and the ability to convert to HTML, ASCII, PDF etc. from one
> master source, but not everyone is familiar with the DocBook markup
> syntax. Many other projects have switched across to Wikis for their
> documentation - for example see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki - so maybe we
> should consider that? SourceForge can provide MediaWiki as one of their
> "Hosted Apps". Team members might be more inclined to contribute or
> correct documents if the process is easier, and MediaWiki markup is
> widely used and not hard to learn.
> Then again, maybe we should stick with DocBook?

The benefits of docbook to convert to various formats never really worked out
for whatever reasons. And it seems that a wiki is the way to go - Mike has a
time long tried to push us to a wiki-based documentation and I believe, he'll
be happy to help to get it to start. Learning to handle a wiki would be easier
than having people dig into docbook - and it's a lot easier to deploy. Though
I don't like wikis myself, I'd vote for a move to mediawiki with the new
version.

> What about the structure of the documentation? Today we have an
> Installation Guide, a User Guide and a Developer Guide. I think that the
> Developer Guide should definitely be separate but to me the boundary
> between the Installation and User Guides is less clear - should they be
> combined?

IMHO Yes! The distinction between a Installation and a User Guide was just
based on the fact that Bering, the predecessor, had made it. For a user it
doesn't really make sense, and sometimes it's veen hard for me to find the
relevant information :)

If none disagree, I'd like to ask Mike to enable the wiki, and to take care
that LEAF developers will have write access - and then we can start to rewrite
the docs for v4.