I'm using the x86 image but because Bob reported the i686 to work I've
downloaded Bering-uClibc_6.0.0_i686_syslinux_serial115200.tar.gz and
installed it on a fresh flash drive. Booted it up with the pristine config
and the only thing I've changed is to set CLAMPMSS=Yes.

Must be something obvious... but not obvious enough for me to see it...

LEAF Bering-uClibc 6.0.0 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17  at firewall
Linux 4.4.26-i686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 20 13:37:15 CEST 2016

firewall# vi shorewall.conf
firewall# shorewall restart
Compiling using Shorewall 5.0.12.1...
Processing /etc/shorewall/params ...
Processing /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf...
   ERROR: CLAMPMSS=Yes requires TCPMSS Target in your kernel and iptables
firewall# shorewall show capabilities
Shorewall has detected the following iptables/netfilter capabilities:
   ACCOUNT Target (ACCOUNT_TARGET): Not available
   AUDIT Target (AUDIT_TARGET): Not available
   Address Type Match (ADDRTYPE): Available
   Amanda Helper: Available
   Arptables JF (ARPTABLESJF): Not available
   Basic Ematch (BASIC_EMATCH): Not available
   Basic Filter (BASIC_FILTER): Not available
   CLASSIFY Target (CLASSIFY_TARGET): Not available
   CONNMARK Target (CONNMARK): Not available
   CT Target (CT_TARGET): Available
   Capabilities Version (CAPVERSION): 50004
   Checksum Target (CHECKSUM_TARGET): Not available
   Comments (COMMENTS): Available
   Condition Match (CONDITION_MATCH): Not available
   Connection Tracking Match (CONNTRACK_MATCH): Available
   Connlimit Match (CONNLIMIT_MATCH): Not available
   Connmark Match (CONNMARK_MATCH): Not available
   DSCP Match (DSCP_MATCH): Not available
   DSCP Target (DSCP_TARGET): Not available
   Enhanced Multi-port Match (EMULIPORT): Available
   Extended Connection Tracking Match Support (NEW_CONNTRACK_MATCH):
Available
   Extended MARK Target (XMARK): Available
   Extended MARK Target 2 (EXMARK): Available
   Extended Multi-port Match (XMULIPORT): Available
   Extended REJECT (ENHANCED_REJECT): Available
   FLOW Classifier (FLOW_FILTER): Not available
   FTP Helper: Available
   FTP-0 Helper: Not available
   Geo IP Match (GEOIP_MATCH): Not available
   Goto Support (GOTO_TARGET): Available
   H323 Helper: Available
   Hashlimit Match (HASHLIMIT_MATCH): Not available
   Header Match (HEADER_MATCH): Not available
   Helper Match (HELPER_MATCH): Not available
   IMQ Target (IMQ_TARGET): Not available
   IP range Match(IPRANGE_MATCH): Not available
   IPMARK Target (IPMARK_TARGET): Not available
   IPP2P Match (IPP2P_MATCH): Not available
   IRC Helper: Available
   IRC-0 Helper: Not available
   Iface Match (IFACE_MATCH): Not available
   Kernel Version (KERNELVERSION): 40426
   LOG Target (LOG_TARGET): Available
   LOGMARK Target (LOGMARK_TARGET): Not available
   MARK Target (MARK): Available
   MASQUERADE Target (MASQUERADE_TGT): Available
   Mangle FORWARD Chain (MANGLE_FORWARD): Available
   Mark in the filter table (MARK_ANYWHERE): Available
   Multi-port Match (MULTIPORT): Available
   NAT (NAT_ENABLED): Available
   NFAcct Match: Not available
   NFLOG Target (NFLOG_TARGET): Available
   NFQUEUE Target (NFQUEUE_TARGET): Not available
   Netbios_ns Helper: Available
   New tos Match (NEW_TOS_MATCH): Not available
   Owner Match (OWNER_MATCH): Not available
   Owner Name Match (OWNER_NAME_MATCH): Not available
   PPTP Helper: Available
   Packet Mangling (MANGLE_ENABLED): Available
   Packet Type Match (USEPKTTYPE): Not available
   Packet length Match (LENGTH_MATCH): Not available
   Persistent SNAT (PERSISTENT_SNAT): Not available
   Physdev Match (PHYSDEV_MATCH): Not available
   Physdev-is-bridged Support (PHYSDEV_BRIDGE): Not available
   Policy Match (POLICY_MATCH): Not available
   RPFilter Match (RPFILTER_MATCH): Not available
   Raw Table (RAW_TABLE): Available
   Rawpost Table (RAWPOST_TABLE): Not available
   Realm Match (REALM_MATCH): Not available
   Recent Match "--reap" option (REAP_OPTION): Available
   Recent Match (RECENT_MATCH): Available
   Repeat match (KLUDGEFREE): Not available
   SANE Helper: Available
   SANE-0 Helper: Not available
   SIP Helper: Available
   SIP-0 Helper: Not available
   SNMP Helper: Available
   Statistic Match (STATISTIC_MATCH): Not available
   TARPIT Target (TARPIT_TARGET): Not available
   TCPMSS Match (TCPMSS_MATCH): Not available
   TCPMSS Target (TCPMSS_TARGET): Not available
   TFTP Helper: Available
   TFTP-0 Helper: Not available
   TPROXY Target (TPROXY_TARGET): Not available
   Time Match (TIME_MATCH): Not available
   UDPLITE Port Redirection (UDPLITEREDIRECT): Not available
   ULOG Target (ULOG_TARGET): Not available
   fwmark route mask (FWMARK_RT_MASK): Available
   ipset V5 (IPSET_V5): Not available
   iptables --wait option (WAIT_OPTION): Available
   iptables -S (IPTABLES_S): Available
firewall#  lsmod | grep TCPMSS
firewall#  apkg -l
initrd 6.0.0 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
root 6.0.0 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
config 0.8 Rev 8 uClibc 1.0.17
etc 6.0.0 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
modules 4 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
license 1 Rev 8 uClibc 1.0.17
local 3.0 Rev 2 uClibc 1.0.17
dhcpcd 6.11.5 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
keyboard 1.1 Rev 2 uClibc 1.0.17
shorwall 5.0.12.1 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
iptables 1.4.21 Rev 3 uClibc 1.0.17
perl 5.24.0 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
libdigest-sha1-perl 2.13 Rev 4 uClibc 1.0.17
ulogd 2.0.5 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
libnfnetlink 1.0.1 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
libnetfilter_log 1.0.1 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
libnetfilter_conntrack 1.0.6 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
libnetfilter_acct 1.0.2 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
shorwall6 5.0.12.1 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
dnsmasq 2.76 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
dropbear 2016.74 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17
mhttpd 1.25 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.17