Tripurari,

I've tried running the outstream example with leJOS 3.0 on Linux, and it worked for me.

These were the steps I performed:

1. switch to examples/comms/outstream
2. lejosjc Write.java
3. lejoslink -o Write.bin Write
4. lejosdl Write.bin
5. export CLASSPATH=.:$CLASSPATH:$LEJOS_HOME/lib/pcrcxcomm.jar
6. javac Read.java
7. export THIRDPARTY_LIBS="$LEJOS_HOME/3rdparty/lib"
8. java -Djava.library.path=$LEJOS_HOME/bin -classpath .:$THIRDPARTY_LIBS/commons-cli-1.0.jar:$LEJOS_HOME/lib/jtools.jar:$LEJOS_HOME/lib/pcrcxcomm.jar

Will try it Windows XP also.

Cheers,
  Matthias

Matthias Paul Scholz wrote:

Tripurari Volpe wrote:

Well, I finally got the sample outstream stuff to compile and run (sorta)... but now I have a new problem.

I compile and run the sample program samples/comms/outstream/Read.java, and run it on my PC. It works, up to a point. Specifically, when it tries to create a new RCXPort, it runs into a TowerException informing me of a "write failure"...

[...]

I apologize for bothering this list so much, but I have a project that I need to finish very soon, and this link between the PC and the RCX is the last hurdle, that has proven to be an incredibly frustrating difficulty... All I want to do is pass some data from the RCX to the PC, for gosh sakes! :-)

Well, this is most decidedly a justified request.
I'll have a look into that matter (squares with my efforts in getting a release candidate out for leJOS 3.0 in the next couple of weeks).

P.S: Incidentally, I notice that there's a second constructor for RCXPort, taking a string argument "port"... The API documentation says nothing - what exactly does this constructor do? Might it be helpful to me right now?

Wasn't the author of the comm layer, but as far as I can see from the RCX(Abstract)Port's class source code, the port argument is simply .. ignored. Hence I don't know what's the use of this constructor at all (was maybe some compatibility issue).

P.P.S: I gave the lower-level Tower class a try, and that actually worked, though a bit awkardly. I think I could manage to put together what I need with just this, but if Tower works, why doesn't RCXPort...?

As a matter of fact, I'd like to know also. Let's see.

Cheers,
/M