Brian,

this sounds promising indeed.

One question, yet: do you intend to make any changes to the codebase in
leJOS' cvs already that refer to the NXT?

Just asking, for I'd considered it useful if there were some discussions
amongst the project's developers on the future on leJOS in respect to
strategies of NXT support before actually changing the present state -
at least some first talks revealed different attitudes towards this.

Cheers,
    Matthias Paul