William,

Presently, when you run lejosdl against an RCX without leJOS firmware,
you will most likely get an "RCX not responding" error. So, in a manner
of speaking, lejosdl "notices" that the firmware has not been downloaded
to the RCX.
But there's no "error recovering" in the sense of automatic fixing (e.g.
by lejosdl starting firmdl).
In a nutshell: the presence of a leJOS firmware on the RCX is a (not
completely unreasonable) prelimitation for lejosdl working with that RCX.

To make lejosdl aware of the firmware not available on a RCX could be
quite costly, for one had to distingusih between different possible
reasons for a download failure - the RCX might not be switched on,
ambient light, RCX too far away etc. The firmware not being present
seems to be a more exotic failure reason to me in this context.

With that in mind, one would prefer a more lightweight solution here,
even more as firmware download to an RCX is usually required only once.
It might be easier to ensure in the process that firmdl has been called
  at least once successfully, might it not?

Regards,
   Matthias Paul