On Tue, 8 Dec 2020, Laura Scarabosio wrote:

I would like to ask what are the default linear solver and preconditioner
in Libmesh,

GMRES and ILU, if you've configured with a linear algebra package
supporting them.

and how to specify in the code which ones to use (e.g. as flags
or parameters).

LinearSolver::set_solver_type(foo) and set_preconditioner_type(bar),
but most of our users instead rely on the PETSc command line flags,
which we pass through to them and which can be a lot more flexible.

Also, is there the possibility to use a direct solver?

I like using a PETSc configured with MUMPs support; I think more of
our users prefer SuperLU_Dist.

Apologies if I overlooked this info in the Libmesh examples.

No, it's deliberately stripped out of the examples, most of which are
intended to work seamlessly even if libMesh is configured without the
most advanced linear algebra packages.
---
Roy