You might need a Lagrange multiplier formulation that sets a state variable
in an entire subdomain or boundary to a single unknown scalar. Example 3 in
systems of equations might help, it shows how SCALAR variables can be used.
You could incorporate the scalar variable into the weak form via a penalty
method.

Vikram Garg

vikramvgarg.github.io/