Hi Edgar,

Including your previous results, the ex4 patch alone still has the fastest
"Active" time on average:

# previous results
upstream: AVG= 1.51775
ex4 patch: AVG= 1.29828

# current results
virtual function patch: AVG= 1.52382
virtual function + ex4 patches: AVG= 1.6248

But since you rebuilt libmesh between then and now, I'm not sure we should
really compare the two. Another thing to mention is that running the test
in parallel is probably counter productive to our goals since:
1.) It reduces the overall active time, and the shorter the duration of the
thing you are trying to time, the more it is affected by the timing code
itself.
2.) It will introduce more variability in the results. Currently,
the coefficient of variation (mean divided by stddev) for these results is
on the order of 15-18%, a fair bit larger than the differences in the times
themselves.

If you are interested in investigating this further, I would suggest that
you re-check the previous results on your current libmesh build, but I'd
also run everything in serial to try and reduce the variation to the point
where one of the four possible versions is statistically faster than all
the others...

--
John

--