> The Catholics wore green, the Protestants wore Orange.. Information I
> have remembered since High School when I was a teacher's aide for a
> History teacher who was born and raised in Ireland.
>
> Con

That's not the whole story -

Read on ...

http://www.law.umn.edu/irishlaw/

LAWS IN IRELAND FOR THE SUPPRESSION

OF POPERY

commonly known as the

PENAL LAWS

>From the consolidation of English power in 1691 until well into the
nineteenth century, religion was the gulf which divided the colonial rulers
of Ireland from the native majority. This sectarian division resulted from
deliberate government policy. It reached into political, economic, and
personal life, through a series of statutes known as the Penal Laws. This
site contains the texts of these laws.

BACKGROUND OF THE PENAL LAWS

In Ireland, the "Penal Laws" is the name given to the code of laws passed by
the Protestant Parliament of Ireland which regulated the status of Roman
Catholics through most of the eighteenth century. These laws are key to
understanding the history of the period as well as the sectarian conflicts
that still plague Northern Ireland.

The declared purpose of the Irish Penal Laws, like that of the apartheid
laws of recent South African history, was to disenfranchise the native
majority from all power, both political and economic. Unlike apartheid, the
disabilities created by the Penal Laws were aimed not at a particular race
or ethnic group, but at the adherents of a particular religion. The ideal
was to entice the colonised Irish into wholesale conversion to
Protestantism. A Catholic could avoid the oppressive effects of these laws
by conversion, although the statutes went to great lengths to ferret out
insincere conversions and backsliders. By deliberately defining the haves
and the have-nots, the politically powerful and the oppressed, on the basis
of religion, these statutes had a profound effect, not only on the
eighteenth century, but on the subsequent history of Ireland to the present
day.

--
Jay P Hailey ~Meow!~
MSNIM - jayphailey ;