On 04/10/2013 03:18 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 09:04 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
This is one place where the split into URE and LO directories may become
a nuisance.  (It was rather harmless for other scenarios, even helps
keeping the URE interface well-defined for extensions, so there's never
been much incentive in undoing that.)

        I assume there is ABI impact in unfolding the URE hierarchy out
of /ure/lib etc. if so we'd need to keep it as-is.

There shouldn't be, at least not for well-behaved clients.

See also <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-September/018479.html> "[Libreoffice] Undoing basis/brand split in 3.5": "There is also a URE/rest split, which I will not touch for now. At least Debian seems to be interested in having a stand alone URE on top of which sits a LibO alongside potentially more apps."

...and response <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-September/018486.html> "Re: [Libreoffice] Undoing basis/brand split in 3.5": "IMHO, we need to drop the URE too - leaving only a vestigal skeleton of back-compatible ure stub libraries that are linked to the main 'monster' Link Time Optimised library (with them included)."

Stephan