Hi.
The naming is hard. The sftp_async_read was mostly PoC API, but not to
support non-blocking operation, but asynchronous file transfer (that
means having several in-flight requests instead of busily waiting for
the first one to arrive). This was deprecated in favor of the
sftp_aio_* API as described in the tutorial, which should be available
in the next release due in coming months so if you have some feedback,
it would be hugely appreciated:

https://api.libssh.org/master/libssh_tutor_sftp_aio.html

As already mentioned, the nonblocking operation of SFTP is still not
supported. As far as I can see, it would need to rewrite all of the
sftp functions to support returning SSH_AGAIN instead of waiting,
possibly with some API changes as some of the functions do not return
status, but just the allocated objects.

Jakub